Did you know October is LGBTQ+ History Month?
The following post was written by Chloe Secor and Kamryn Kurtzner Fraleigh, Zeta Nu—Alma College. Chloe and Kamryn co-founded the LGBTQIA+ Alpha Gam Facebook group in 2014—recognizing the need within Alpha Gam for a support group for those members.
Who doesn’t love October? Changing weather, pumpkin spice everything, Halloween—but these aren’t the only things to celebrate this month. October is also LGBTQ+ History Month!
What is LGBTQ+ History Month?
LGBTQ+ History Month is a month-long, worldwide occasion to highlight and celebrate LGBTQ+ icons and achievements. It was created in 1994 by a history teacher in Missouri, and October was selected based on existing traditions—such as National Coming Out Day on October 11th. It’s grown to be adopted by institutions and organizations around the world.
What happens during LGBTQ+ History Month?
So much! LGBTQ+ History Month includes:
- A kick-off from The Equality Forum which highlights important members of LGBTQ+ history on each day of October
- Solidarity Week for K-12 educators (October 5-9)
- National Coming Out Day (October 11)
- The anniversary of the First LGBTQ+ March on Washington (October 14)
- Spirit Day (October 15)
- And more—all around the world
Why is LGBTQ+ History Month important?
In addition to reminding both us of the important roles LGBTQ+ people have taken in advancing our world today, this month brings awareness to historical issues and figures who would otherwise be forgotten. A few past members from The Equality Forum’s highlighted 31 include:
- Janet Mock | Activist and Author (Featured on Alpha Gam’s DEI Resources)
- Megan Rapinoe | Olympic Gold Medalist and World Champion
- Sharice Davids | Congresswoman
- Deborah Batts | First openly gay federal judge
- Kate McKinnon | Saturday Night Live Comedian
How can I get involved?
The possibilities are endless! It’s the perfect time to give extra love to the LGBTQ+ community. There are tons of great LGBTQ+ activists to follow and share on social media, as well as movies, books and other resources to educate yourself with.
The best place to start, though? Show your support to your local LGBTQ+ community—especially your LGBTQ+ Alpha Gam sisters!
- LGBTQ+ History Month by Equality Forum
- LGBTQ+ Literature
- LGBTQ+ TV & Movies
- LGBTQ+ Social Media Accounts to Follow