Grace Mosher Harter
Grace R. Mosher Harter was born in Parish, New York in 1883. In the early days of Alpha Gamma Delta, Grace's energetic personality brought her into the Fraternity. She served as Vice President and also helped with the installation of Gamma Chapter-Wesleyan University. Grace, also known as Midge, had the reputation of being a gracious hostess. In fact, Grace seldom went home without her sisters. Through the years, no home was thought to be more hospitable to Alpha Gamma Deltas, and no hostess more thoughtful, generous or cordial, than Grace. Grace's daughter, Margaret Harter Sanders, and granddaughter, Susan Dee Sanders, were initiated into the Alpha Chapter at the 1964 Convention. Grace Mosher Harter entered Chapter Grand on July 25, 1978, at the age of 95.
Mary Louise Snider
Mary was born at Walden, New York in 1884. During her freshman year at Syracuse, her friendship with Estelle and Marguerite led her to join in the Fraternity’s founding. In the winter of 1906, she carried on the communication, which resulted in the installation of Gamma Chapter-Wesleyan University. Mary was President in 1909 and presided over the Installation of Zeta Chapter-Ohio University. In October 1909, Mary became a missionary under the board of the Methodist Church to Concepcion College, Concepcion, Chile, teaching there and in Santiago, Chile for 13 years. She cared for several of the young women in South America, and eventually adopted a child as her daughter. After returning to the United States, Mary invested her time working with the blind. Her sisters described her as compassionate and service-oriented. Mary Louise Snider entered Chapter Grand on June 9, 1960, at the age of 76.
Alpha Gamma Delta
Through the years
Alpha Gamma Delta was officially founded at Syracuse University on May 30, 1904 in the home of Dr. Wellesley P. Coddington. At this time the constitution and bylaws were read and adopted, suggestions for The Ritual were made, the Badge was first worn and Jennie Titus was elected President.
Between 1905 and 1909, Alpha Gamma Delta Fraternity experienced unusual growth for the times. Beta Chapter was installed in 1905, and by 1909, Iota Chapter at the University of Washington in Seattle was installed. In 1912, Iota Chapter purchased the first chapter owned house.
Activities at Conventions held in Alpha Gamma Delta’s second decade saw numerous important developments including the first Feast of Roses in 1915; Tau Chapter was installed in 1919 at the University of Toronto making the Fraternity International in scope; the Honors of Epsilon Pi and an International Philanthropy Project were adopted during the 1919 Convention; the following Convention in 1921 brought adoption of an official banner and The Purpose, written by Emily Helen Butterfield; and the Executive Council structure was established at the 1923 Convention.
The first summer camp for underprivileged children began in 1920 on Wolf Lake in Jackson, Michigan, with members of Alpha Gamma Delta working there during the summer sessions.
The 25th anniversary of Alpha Gamma Delta was observed during the Convention taking place in Syracuse, New York and the next year brought the establishment of the second summer camp located in Canada, Camp Welland in Wellington, Ontario.
International Reunion Day replaced Founders’ Day.
Members from chapters in the United States and Canada were actively involved in a variety of efforts during World War II, including war bond drives, sending gifts and food to soldiers, working with the Red Cross and leading blood drives to show the soldiers support during this difficult time around the world.
Banff, Alberta, Canada, was the site of the first International Convention held outside of the United States.
The Golden Anniversary of the founding of Alpha Gamma Delta was celebrated during the 1954 International Convention. This was the last time that as many as seven Founders were together.
Alpha Gamma Delta grew by 13 chapters when Theta Sigma Upsilon merged with the Fraternity.
International Headquarters relocated from Chatham, New Jersey, to 3444 Washington Boulevard in Indianapolis, Indiana, which made Indianapolis the third location of the Fraternity’s administrative offices to date.
Philanthropic involvement increased within Alpha Gamma Delta in order for funds raised to be granted to organizations and hospitals serving children, particularly those with learning disabilities and illnesses with crippling effects. Additionally, the organization began awarding grants and scholarships to members.
The Founders Memorial Foundation grew in this decade and during the 1979 International Convention, a new focus and partnership was announced: the Juvenile Diabetes Foundation International.
A new program was launched with The Leadership Conference, which was first held in 1982 and has since grown into an eagerly anticipated and valuable annual education event for collegians, advisors and other volunteers.
The Founders Memorial Foundation became the Alpha Gamma Delta Foundation in 1990, and in 1991, the membership voted to change the name of the governing board of Alpha Gamma Delta from Grand Council to International Council, thus changing the officer titles to include “International.”
Work began to adopt new branding that was approved in 2000 by International Council and the tagline, “Surrounded by Sisterhood” with stylized roses in red and buff was introduced to the members attending the 2001 International Convention.
Memories of the first 100 years of Alpha Gamma Delta were celebrated during the 2004 International Convention at the Chicago Marriott with more than 900 alumnae and collegians attending to experience the joy of sisterhood.
A new brand featuring a single red rose on a green stem with the tagline, “Live with Purpose” was introduced in 2011, and the Fraternity moved to a new location at 8710 North Meridian Street in Indianapolis.