EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT APPLYING FOR AN ALPHA GAMMA DELTA SCHOLARSHIP
Each year, the Alpha Gam Foundation awards scholarships to sisters pursuing a full-time undergraduate or graduate degree. For the 2018-2019 academic year, the Foundation awarded more than $216,000 in scholarships. You could be next! The following tips will help you complete the scholarship application:
- Who’s Eligible? – Undergraduate scholarships are awarded to students going into their junior or senior year, so heads up to sophomores and juniors—this is your opportunity! On the five-year track? No problem! Fifth-year seniors and graduate students are also eligible. Remember, you must be enrolled full-time during the 2019-2020 year.
- Don’t Wait – While the application closes March 3, that doesn’t mean you can put it off until the day before. To put your best foot forward, start the application process early. Review the questions and spend time writing thoughtful responses. The application has a lot of moving parts, such as recommendations, transcripts, etc., so waiting until the last minute could eliminate you from consideration if not submitted by 11:59 p.m. on March 3.
- But Wait – To submit your transcript, that is. Scholarship applications require an Official Transcript which includes your Fall 2018 grades, so be sure your fall grades are posted before reaching out to your university for your transcript. Transcripts received without fall grades will not be accepted.
- Recommendations – The application requires two recommendations—one from an Alpha Gamma Delta alumna and one from a professional contact, like a professor or boss. The application makes this step easy for you! Simply enter your references’ name and email address and the system will send them a request. That said, be sure to ask your reference if it’s okay ahead of time and don’t wait until the last minute to submit the recommendation request. Many applications received by the Foundation are marked incomplete and disqualified because the recommender did not have enough time to complete the request.
- Tell Your Story – Scholarship evaluators review many applications, so make sure your narrative stands out. Be sure to answer the question posed on the application in a thoughtful manner. It’s a good idea to write your narrative in a Word document and then copy and paste it into the application to allow use of the the spelling and grammar correction features.
- Lean In…to Your Alpha Gam Experience – This scholarship is only available to members of Alpha Gamma Delta, so highlight your chapter involvement. Service on a committee, officer positions and Executive Council are all great examples of how you’ve immersed yourself in the Alpha Gam experience.
- Find your FASFA – The application includes questions about your financial status, so if you’ve completed your FASFA, make sure you have it handy.
- Increase Your Chances – Does your chapter have an Endowed Scholarship? In you’re not sure, take a look at this list. If your chapter is listed, it increases the odds you’ll be considered for a scholarship from the Foundation. Each year, scholarships go unawarded simply because no one from the chapter applied. If your chapter isn’t listed and you’re interested in learning about what it takes to endow a scholarship, click here contact the Foundation.
Apply for your Alpha Gamma Delta Foundation Scholarship today!