Headed to San Antonio for Convention 2018? Featured in the Spring 2018 issue of the Quarterly, the Alpha Gam Events Manager compiled a list of items you might want to stash in your carry-on.
1. Hotel meeting spaces can get quite chilly. Fight the chill with layered pieces, like this lightweight Jackie cardigan from J. Crew.
2. Texas summers are HOT! To keep your make-up fresh all day or for a quick cool down, spritz your favorite setting spray. We love this travel size aloe and rosewater spray from Mario Badescu. On a budget? See below for instructions on how to make our favorite DIY version.
3. We know you’ve been waiting all winter to show off your new summer slingbacks, but toss some flats in your bag, too, in case your tootsies need a break.
4. Stash away a few of your favorite snacks to keep you from getting “hangry” between meals or in case you snooze through breakfast. If your suitcase is already bursting at the seams, there are convenience stores within walking distance of the hotel.
5. Don’t forget to bring something to keep up with new friends and amazing ideas. Grab this holographic agenda book from the Alpha Gam Boutique to jot down your day-to-day journey. Visit alphagamboutique.org for this and other Fraternity products.
6. The 50th International Convention will be one for the books! Make sure you have plenty of free space on your smart phone or dust off your camera to capture the memories you will want to remember.
Refreshing DIY Setting Spray
- A clean, empty spray bottle. You can find these in the travel toiletries section or a beauty supply store.
- A funnel
- 1 tablespoon glycerin—available at most pharmacies and stores such as Walmart, Target or Amazon.
- 1 tablespoon witch hazel—available at most pharmacies and stores such as Walmart or Target. For an added touch of natural fragrance and botanical benefits, try this version which contains aloe and rosewater.
- Bottled, distilled or filtered water
Using your funnel, pour the glycerin and witch hazel into the spray bottle. Fill the remaining space with purified water. Shake it up and give it a spray!
- Even though these homemade setting sprays are preservative-free, adding a few drops of vitamin E oil can increase their shelf life dramatically.
- Spritz your face four times (using a T-motion for best coverage), or spray directly onto a beauty sponge and lightly dab your face.
- For a more moisturizing version, add a drop of Argan oil.
- For an added natural fragrance, add 1-2 drops of your favorite essential oil.
- Can be stored in larger quantities for refills as needed. For best results, refrigerate larger quantities.
The above links will take you to Amazon Smile, a website operated by Amazon with the same products, prices, and shopping features as Amazon.com. Purchases made at AmazonSmile result in a 0.5% donation of your total purchase price to the charitable organization of your choice. On your first visit to smile.amazon.com, you will be prompted to select a charitable organization before you begin shopping. Selecting the Alpha Gamma Delta Foundation is a great way give back at no extra cost to you.
Need more packing inspiration? Check out our International Convention Pinterest board for outfit ideas and things to do while in San Antonio. See you in June!
WHAT TO EXPECT AT YOUR FIRST CONVENTION
SEVEN ‘GRAMMABLE MUST-DOS IN SAN ANTONIO