FIVE WAYS TO MAKE AN IMPACT DURING HUNGER ACTION MONTH
Hunger Action Month is finally here!
Hunger Action Month is near and dear to every Alpha Gam’s heart because of our philanthropic focus. One of the ways Alpha Gamma Delta commits to fighting hunger is by partnering with the Alpha Gamma Delta Foundation. The Foundation grants money to hunger-fighting organizations all over the U.S. and Canada. In fact, the Foundation recently granted its one millionth dollar toward the fight against hunger, thanks to your hard work and generosity!
To kick off Hunger Action Month, the Foundation has five ways YOU can get involved with your community this month.
1. Host an event. Grab your sisters and plan an event to fight hunger. Raise money, collect cans or pass out fliers or sidewalk chalk to raise awareness.
2. Volunteer at a local fighting hunger organization. Head to your nearest food bank or pantry to give your time. This could look like meal packing, organizing donations or delivering meals.
3. Write notes to Meals on Wheels recipients. Many senior citizens receive little daily interaction with others. Consider writing notes or cards to be delivered with their meals. It only takes five minutes to brighten someone’s day!
4. Encourage your local hunger-fighting organizations to apply for a Fighting Hunger Grant from the Foundation. Grant applications open December 1. Grants will be awarded in spring 2023. Past grants fund programs like mobile food pantries, summer backpack programs, healthy cooking classes and more. Check out last year’s recipients here!
5. Give to the Foundation. A gift of any amount toward fighting hunger will impact many women, children and families. Last year, more than eight million individuals were impacted through the Foundation’s Fighting Hunger Grants! Give here.
Hunger Action Month helps us realize how great the need still is. Although it’s invisible, food insecurity is all around us, and it isn’t going away. There is no more important time to focus on fighting hunger than right now.
To find resources and learn more about Hunger Action Month, click here.
This post was written by Erin White, Communications Manager for the Alpha Gamma Delta Foundation.